Templated Export allows users to reshape and selectively publish data from Google Spreadsheets in custom formats. The tool is powered by Google App Script which allows integration with Google Spreadsheets using existing authenticated access. Example uses include: turning data from a spreadsheet into a RSS feed and publishing data from a spreadsheet in JSON format to be used by other tools/services. The framework for creating a custom wrapper for your data means there are many more opportunities.
- Cloud based
- Selective publication of data (down to individual cells)
- Publication of data in different file types (text, atom, rss, xml, json)
- Complete customisation of output file structure
- Open Templated Export for Google Spreadsheets
- File > Make a copy of the script
- File > Manage Versions and enter a description and Save New Version
- Run > onInstall twice (first time to authorise, second to fun the function)
- Publish > Deploy as web app... and click Update and open the 'Current web app URL' or click on the 'latest code' link if available. Bookmark this link (there are many tutorials for turning chrome bookmarks into applications)
Generating a custom RSS Feed of data from a Google Spreadsheet
Publishing data from other sources like Guardian Datastore
Selectively publishing cell ranges as JSON
Some example templates
If you download this JSON file it contains the templates used in the demonstrations above. Use the Local Template: Backup/Restore button in Templated Export to install them.
I make the usual warranties that I'm not a professional programmer and I'm already aware of some niggly bugs, but comments and suggestions are always welcome. If there is enough interest in this tool I'm happy to put it on a community coding site or donate it to someone who actually knows what they are doing ;)